Saturday, April 16, 2005

sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows everywhere

It's amazing how two days away from Livejournal (my crazy addiction) can seem like an eternity, especially when you return and have to spend an hour wading through all the posts that have been made in your absence (not to mention all the amsuing comment strings that stem from those posts).

My presentation went very well, by the way, and though I would like to jump for joy and dance a jig, I have another presentation on Wednesday so no celebrating yet. I have, however, decided to insitute an efficiency plan and try to write 4-5 pages today, tomorrow, and Monday (12-15 pages for a 25-30 minutes presentation), so that come Tuesday evening all I'll have to do is revise and practice. Of course, this will probably never work, but I'm going to try, which I think is a step in the right direction.

My adventure for the day: It is incredibly gorgeous out today--beautiful, perfect spring weather. So, naturally, late this morning, April and I were sitting in the backyard eating breakfast/brunch and watching her dog, Fargo, and her cat, Regie (who is only allowed outside under adult supervision) play/sun themselves. Being brilliant, I decided to bring my cat, Olive--who I only recently adopted (about 4 months ago) and who is still occassionally teased by the dog--outside as well because I felt bad that she was sitting inside all alone. I put her collar on and a little makeshift leash and put her on a table in the yard thinking that if she was up high and knew the dog couldn't reach her she would be fine (since she's relatively calm around him in the house). Of course, the dog lunged at the table, Olive bolted and my leash was completely useless since I'm a good pet owner and her collar is a safety collar (the kind that snaps off if the cat pulls hard enough).

Luckily, Olive didn't run away, but ran up the nearest tree instead. I haven't climbed a tree since I was a child and I have NEVER climbed a tree as fast as I did this morning. Needless to say, my girlfriend wasn't thrilled with my brilliant "why can't my cat come outside too?" idea when I was twelve feet off the ground holding on to a branch with sheer thigh-power (thank God for horseback riding) as I was reaching out with both hands so I could gather my trembling cat into my arms. I am very proud to say though that Olive trusted me enough to climb down towards me so that I could pick her up and hand her to my girlfriend who was waiting on a ladder. (Of course, then she took the cat inside and I was left up in the tree with no easy way to get down...but I managed!)

No comments: