Friday, March 03, 2006

Food Fridays #1

I've been planning to do this for a while now, but only just got my act together to post. As of now, watch this space every Friday (I'll try to post every week for now and see how it goes) for Food Fridays (sharing the joy of food). Each week, I'll post a recipe I've really enjoyed to share with you all. Some will be fairly easy, some may be a bit more time-consuming, but I'm not a gourmand so I doubt any will require obsure ingredients (no $100 truffles or anything) or excessive/complicated preparation (I generally don't choose recipes that require more skill then the basic preparatory skills: chop, blend, mix, stir, bake, fry, boil, etc.)

April and I both love to cook and, when we have the time and inclination (which is not as often as we'd like), we enjoy seeking out fun and interesting recipes from the Food Network, Epicurious, one of my Cooking Light magazines, her Bon Appetit subscription, or one of our myriad cookbooks. Whatever recipe I post, I'll make sure to let you know from whence it came.

I only ask that if you try one of the recipes and enjoy it (or if you don't), please comment and let me know!


Today's recipe comes from Epicurious.com (click here for the recipe on their site, with pictures). It's extremely easy to make. April made it for my birthday in late January, and we loved the recipe so much that we've been making it over and over again since then (although we usually make it without the mangoes because they're more expensive, but it's excellent with or without the mangoes). I think the dressing (and the avocado) is really what makes this salad so wonderful.

We substituted Welch's frozen berry mix juice concentrate for the passion fruit juice because our grocery store isn't fancy enough for frozen passion fruit juice. And, despite our early misgivings, the berry juice worked very well.

****

Avocado and Mango Salad with Passion Fruit Vinaigrette

3 tablespoons frozen passion fruit juice concentrate, thawed
3 tablespoons minced shallot
4 teaspoons Sherry wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds, coarsely cracked
3 tablespoons olive oil
8 cups herb salad mix (about 4 ounces)
1 large ripe mango, halved, pitted, peeled, sliced
2 small avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, sliced

Whisk first 5 ingredients in small bowl to blend; gradually whisk in oil. Season dressing generously with salt and pepper. Toss salad mix in large bowl with 1/4 cup dressing. Divide salad among 4 plates. Tuck mango and avocado into salad; drizzle some of remaining dressing over mango and avocado.

Makes 4 servings.

No comments: