Friday, April 21, 2006

Food Fridays #8

Part 2 of the three-part Food Fridays Eggplant Parmesan Pizza extravaganza (see also Part 1: Basica Pizza Dough with Italian Herbs).

I've gotten much lazier than I used to be when I first started making homemade pizzas a few years ago. That is to say that I rarely, if ever, make my own pizza dough by hand anymore (sometimes I buy it from the grocery store, sometimes I use April's bread machine). However, I always always always make my own pizza sauce...because this is the best pizza sauce in the world! And it's quite easy to make. Again, from James McNair's Vegetarian Pizza.


Basic Tomato Sauce

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
½ cup finely chopped, peeled carrot
½ cup finely chopped celery
2 tsp. minced or pressed garlic
3 cups peeled, seeded, chopped, and drained ripe or canned tomatoes
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. minced fresh basil or oregano (optional)
salt
freshly ground black pepper


In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomato, and vinegar. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to medium, and cook until thickened and most of the liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Stir in the herbs (if used) about 5 minutes before the sauce is done. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer sauce to food processor with metal blade or to a blender. Process to a coarse puree. Set aside for immediate use, or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 or 5 days.

No comments: