Monday, May 16, 2005

OMG, that was, like, the *best* prom ever!

What a lovely weekend. Today, I went to my department's end-of-the-year party. I had a nice time talking with a few of my professors--one of whom I was convinced was avoiding me (I had no theories as to why, but I was obviously just being paranoid because she acted completely normal and actually sought me out today at the party) and one of whom I absolutely adore, but who's been in NYC all semester so I hadn't seen or spoken with him recently. Good end to a good weekend.

On Saturday morning, April, Amy, and I went to the outlet mall and shopped for about six hours. I haven't been shopping in ages, and after working so hard all semester I'm not ashamed to say it was a cathartic experience. In any case, I bought three pairs of shoes. (I really did need new shoes; for example, I have one pair of shoes that I love, but that were so rundown that my feet consistently got when if I wore the shoes in the rain. Sad, I know, but now they've been replaced.) My favorite purchases are my pretty brown slingbacks and the three button-down summer cotton shirts I found at the Aeropostale outlet for $3 each! I know I'm cheap--I don't believe in spending more on clothes than I would on, say, a nice meal (rarely, I'll make exceptions to this rule)--but you'd never know it from looking at my closet. I'm very good a finding deals.

Anyway, on to the prom! ;) One of my fellow grad students thought it would be fantastic idea to have a prom party (in a very, very ironic way), and, in spite of my initial skepticism, it was a lot of fun. I dressed up--long black velvet dress with glittery gold flames (what I'd like to call sophisticated tacky chic)--and did my hair (a lot hairspray was involved) and put on makeup (full-on makeup, not my more common eyeliner/lipstick combo) even though I was a little nervous that I would be the only one dressed up (especially considering several of my professors were going to be there). I wasn't the only one, thankfully, and one of my friends even wore her sister's old bubble skirt from the 80s. Anyway, it was terribly amusing to slow dance with April to "Bette Davis Eyes," and, of course, it was great to chat with people I hadn't seen/talked to in a while.

No comments: